CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, January 12, 2009

Need advice...

Okay, for the second night in a row, Ella has woken up in the middle of the night screaming at the top of her lungs. I have tried letting her put herself back to sleep, but after about 15 minutes, she is screaming even louder. Even when I go pick her up, she keeps on screaming for at least 10 minutes of longer if I don't figure out how to bounce her in just the right way. And of course I have to walk around, because the minute I sit down to rock her, she starts screaming again. I have tried everything I can think of including diaper changes, Tylenol and Check SpellingMylicon drops, fed her two nights ago (but did not want to do it again last night so as to not start a bad habit), singing to her, etc. I mean, she has screamed so loud that I have wondered about if something else might be wrong with her and should I take her to the hospital. Even when I get her calmed down, she is then awake for almost another hour.

Thus far, I have been a really lucky mom. Ella has been a great sleeper (I mean, she has been sleeping at least 7 hours since she was 4 weeks old). So, if you have any suggestions, I am all ears!

3 comments:

Summer said...

Kaitlin went through something similar to this a few months ago. I really thought they were night terrors, even though everything says that she was too young to get them. But it was almost like she was still sleeping b/c nothing I would do would calm her down, and she never really focused on anything. It was very strange. Sadly, I don't have any advice for you, other than "this too shall pass." I think you're doing the right thing, going in and holding her til she calms down. It's definitely different than a normal nightly cry-out, and I think she probably needs reassurance when she does snap out of it that Mommy is there. Just my thoughts.

Melody said...

Jonah went through this phase when he learned new things - sitting up, pulling up, walking... I think he woke up thinking about it and wanted to do it. That, and just wanted some mommy comfort. Sometimes I would give him water to help soothe him instead of milk so he would not get used to a nighttime feeding again. After a week or less, it would pass. I hope it does quickly for you!!!

Annie said...

Sutton did and sometimes still does this. All I can figure out is that its bad dreams (not sure what a bad dream to someone this age might exactly be!!). What works best with him is taking him out of his room and into the kitchen in the light and letting him wake up and calm down. Once he wakes up in the light he calms down. Hope this helps! Congrats on Baby Girl #2!